Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, October 28, 2013

The Good, The Bad, and the SPOOKY: Sleepy Hollow Edition

It's almost Halloween everyone! I hope you're all carving your jack-o-lanterns and getting your various costume components together as we speak. In honor of one of my favorite holidays, I'm going to be counting down my favorite Halloween TV episodes next week. But today, we're exploring a show that's tailor made for this season: Fox's, Sleepy Hollow.



Now I know I'm a few weeks late on this one, but I have to admit, this show was not on my must watch list. In fact, I originally put it in my "No way" category because it seemed like something that was bound to be cancelled right away, and I didn't want to waste my time. Shows how much I know! Turns out, America has loved spending time in the Hollow - it's one of the biggest hits of the season, and it has the honor of being the only new show of the fall that's already renewed for season 2. 

So now that I've jumped on the bandwagon and finally watched the pilot, it's time to break out the fun sized candy and enjoy the first (and probably only) edition of The Good The Bad and the Spooky: Sleepy Hollow Edition.

Nicole Beharie and Tom Mison in Fox's breakout hit, Sleepy Hollow

You guys, this show is straight up FUN. It's straight up crazy too, don't get me wrong, but man, is it fun.

The Premise: 

The Headless Horseman has returned to modern-day Sleepy Hollow (which is still plagued with unexplained phenomena) and a resurrected Icabod Crane has teamed up with young cop, Abbie, to stop him from reuniting with the four horsemen of the apocalypse and cutting off other people's heads. Yep...

The Good: 

When you have a crazy bananas premise like this one, you have to at least have believable performances, so thank goodness the two leads are really bringing it in this one. Nicole Beharie (most recently seen as Jackie Robinson's wife in 42) is great as Abbie, a police lieutenant with one-time dreams of being in the CIA. She's been called crazy in the past for a vision she had as a child (four white trees which we later find out represent the four horseman), so she's the only person who actually believes Icabod is telling the truth. Tom Mison is also quite funny as the time traveling Crane - his curious reactions to the mysteries of the 21st century are pretty perfect - and paired with Beharie, the two provide a center to a show that could easily spin off into space.

The Bad:

This is a common concern for me with high concept pilots such as this one, but the question is, where can we go from here? If Icabod ever becomes comfortable in this new world, I think a lot of the magic will be gone, but he can't keep being fascinated by automatic car windows forever. Also, there is the potential for this show to become bogged down in it's own mythology - let's hope that it stays a goofy/creepy romp and never becomes a chore.

The Spooky:

- When Abbie was looking at the horseman's ghost in the window, but then it cracks and turns out it's just a mirror! I'm ashamed, but I jumped at that.

- The whole scene in the barn when **SPOILER!** Abbie's partner gets killed, was very scary - the Headless Horseman himself isn't as creepy as I thought he would be, but that's honestly ok with me. I don't need any more nightmares, thank you very much.

- What's up with that scary, time-traveling Reverend? He's dead now (I guess) but that definitely gave me the creeps.


Sleepy Hollow will return to Monday November 4th at 9PM on Fox (hopefully I'll be caught up by then) and I think it's just crazy enough to get the Under the Dome treatment, don't you? Check back every week for my recaps, Sleepy-heads! 

See you all next week for more Halloween fun, and enjoy the World Series Everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment