Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, September 23, 2013

BONUS: The Best Moments from the Emmy Awards!

The Emmy's were on this past Sunday, and as an award show obsessed crazy person (I prefer "enthusiast", but I'm not denying my addiction), I watched everything from the red carpet convos to the final awards. So here's a bonus post just for YOU! Below is my rundown of the 2013 Emmy Awards' Best Moments (you can find the "worst" moments all over the internet, but ain't nobody got time for that).

Enjoy, my fellow TV lovers. Enjoy.


The Red Carpet

My GAWD. Did everyone look extra amazing this year, or was it just me? My personal favorite of the evening was Tina Fey, who, to quote my mom "looked like a 50's bombshell" in this killer blue dress:


Of course the annoying cornball banter from the E! commentators got on my nerves as we started into the second hour (I told you, I literally watched all of this), but overall, Ryan and Giuliana managed to bring some fun to the usual celebrity awkwardness that always follows the question: "What are you wearing?". Let's hope they keep more funny, weird stuff like the "mani-cam" - a mini red carpet for the ladies to show off their manicures and jewelry - in for future broadcasts.




Plus, who doesn't love a good celebrity photo bomb? 











...Or two?






The Host

Neil Patrick Harris was just great (did you expect anything less?). With help from past Emmy hosts - including Jane Lynch, Conan O'Brien, and a tap-dancing Jimmy Fallon - and a totally game Kevin Spacey, Tina Fey, and Amy Poehler in on the bit, what started out as a weird opening became laugh-out-loud funny. Plus, the "middle of the show" number - featuring complicated backflips and a singing and dancing Nathan Fillion and Sarah Silverman - brought NPH's signature energy to what is usually the boring part of the show.



I also loved the pre-taped "Excessive Hosting Disorder" sketch, which featured Harris and the rest of the How I Met Your Mother cast (along with their signature "Intervention" banner), and a guest spot by another self-admitted hosting addict, Arsenio Hall. Of course, Harris' genuineness and commitment to everything was what really made this an A+ hosting job in my book.


The Awards

I want to apologize to anyone who actually bet money on my Emmy predictions since they were nearly all dead wrong (you can find the full list of winners here). But as our host astutely pointed out midway through the show, everyone was probably losing their office Emmy pools since there were surprises at every turn. 

This theme for the night was set early on when the first award for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy unexpectedly went to my personal Emmy dream pick, the hilariously funny Merritt Wever, from Nurse Jackie. Wever was as surprised by her win as the rest of us, and ended up delivering what was, in my opinion, the best Emmy speech of all time:



God, I love her.

And sure, there were plenty of obviously wrong, yet predictable choices (Claire Danes for Homeland, Jim Parsons for The Big Bang Theory, and...what? Modern Family won for Best Comedy again? Come on, guys. Get with it.), but other underdog winners like Veep's Tony Hale and  The Colbert Report were what made this night interesting since it really felt like it was anybody's game for the first time in years.

While there was a certain heaviness this year from the many extra long, yet poignant "In Memoriam" segments, the show refrained from getting too sad with understated bits like Julia Louis-Dreyfus' Veep parody acceptance speech with Tony Hale, and over the top goofy moments, like Will Ferrell and his kids presenting the last two awards in shorts and crocs. Overall, a good time was had by everyone, including this award show buff. Bye for now, Emmy's - we'll see you in 2014!



No comments:

Post a Comment