Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, January 10, 2014

Mini-Midseason Meltdown

Welcome to the amazing, incredible, awesome month of January folks!


Ok, I know it seems like there's not much to celebrate. Now that the holidays are over, we're all just a bunch of sad, freezing, winter coat blobs trying to make it through this miserable, never-ending tundra of a month.

But never fear. While all the Christmas presents have been unwrapped, the TV angels are about to give us an embarrassment of riches. New shows are premiering, old favorites are returning...it's like winter is the new fall, baby! So with a crazy amount of content to cover over the next few weeks, here's my Mini-Midseason Meltdown, complete with what's coming out, and when it will be (hopefully) reviewed by yours truly. Get in your snuggie and get ready to hibernate people. It's gonna be a long winter.

Note: The following is only a list of the shows I plan on covering - for a full list of what to expect this winter and spring, click here for the Washington Post's Midseason TV Guide.

JANUARY

*New* The Spoils of Babylon (IFC) premieres Thursday, January 9th at 10PM.

If you live in New York City, you've probably seen the massive subway ad campaign for this soapy mini-series spoof and thought, "That can't be real, can it?" before you notice that telltale IFC logo in the corner. It could be cringe-worthy, but this fake 70's book adaptation stars Toby Maguire, Will Ferrell, Kristen Wiig and David Spade so I'm holding out for campy hilarity. Review: 1/12


*New* Enlisted (Fox) premieres Friday, January 10th at 9:30PM

Since it was slated to premiere in November, I feel like I've been waiting forever to see this military sitcom. From the early reviews I've seen, it seems like it will be worth the wait. I love the Stripes-esque premise about a group of rag tag soldiers who never leave base, and it already gets bonus points from me for starring Geoff Stults, previously seen as Kate's boyfriend on the late great Ben & Kate. Who knows, maybe it could take the spot of the sure-to-be-cancelled garbage fest that is Dads? Review: 1/12

Shameless (Showtime) returns Sunday, January 12th at 9PM. Review 1/19

Girls (HBO) returns Sunday, January 12th at 10PM. Review to come later this month...

*New* Broad City (Comedy Central) premieres Wednesday, January 22nd at 10:30PM

 
I'm super psyched for this new show starring UCB alums Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer (and produced by someone named...Amy Poehler? Not sure I've heard of her...). The adverstising campaign has made it seem like Girls-lite: all the New York twenty-something angst but with more straight up funny. Gotta say, I'm not opposed! The first episode is available online here so I may get to this sooner rather than later. As of right now, expect a Review 1/22


FEBRURARY

*New* The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and Late Night with Seth Meyers (NBC) premiere Monday, February 17th starting at 11:35PM

Fans of this blog know that I am the biggest Jimmy Fallon fan around. I loved Late Night (and if you haven't seen last week's Best of Special, do yourself a favor and watch ASAP) and I can't wait to see what he does with the iconic Tonight Show format. Seth Meyers has some big shoes to fill, but if his Weekend Update skills are any indication, we're looking at two straight hours of talk show perfection. Review to come in February

Portlandia (IFC) returns Thursday, February 27th at 10PM. Review 2/28

Well I got my work cut out for me, that's for sure. Here's just one more thing before I switch over to my winter flannel uniform...

The Golden Globes (AKA the very best damn award show around) is airing this Sunday, January 12th at 8PM. Hosted once again by comedy dynamic duo Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, I'm expecting another year where the Globes outshine the Academy Awards in every way (although with Ellen DeGeneres as this year's Oscar host, it might be a dead heat). While I won't be live tweeting the event (since I don't have a Twitter and I like to actually enjoy things I watch you crazy youths), my review of the show will be coming up on or about this Monday, January 13th.

 
Catch you all this weekend for the beginning of midseason content overload!!

No comments:

Post a Comment